Thursday, December 24, 2009

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow!

The snow started here about 7:00 am and has been intermittent since then.  About 4-6" has fallen in the first 8 hours of our "winter storm warning" that is predicted to end around 6:00 pm tomorrow night.  Areas to the south of our Philadelphia-vacinity location have gotten upwards of 8-12" and Washington, DC is slated for 25" or so.

Why the weather report?  It reminded me of a winter ice storm long ago that coated everything with a thick layer of ice that I captured with a 35 mm SLR I bought while working in the photographic industry, another one of my former lives.  The next day the sun blazed, sparkling the ice into a magical wonderland before melting it all away. 

 Over the years, my lens was directed towards my children's athletic endeavors and objects less animated such as architecture, sculpture, landscapes, and perhaps wild life.  Reviewing old photographs has given me a treasure-trove of film material to work with while adding new images in digital format.

 Two outstanding black and white photographs taken, developed and enlarged by my brother  some 30 years ago, were recently reframed, becoming the focal points of an ongoing project - a two story, four wall, stair well gallery of all black and white media.  Since most of my photographs are in color, it was necessary to convert them to black and white with the help of a Kodak Kiosk.  Photographs, needlework, fabric, paper - any medium could be used as long as it fit the black and white criteria.  Its been a fun project and every item tells a story.

 Like the blackwork ship that was worked on when keeping my son company during hospital confinement for a broken leg.  He was young and he was happy to know his Mommy was there while he watched cartoons to pass the time.  I was occupied as well and had a nice bonus when it was finished and he was home again.   Antique and modern silhouettes of family.  Pen and ink drawings from a trip to Williamsburg, VA.  A triptych of pin hole camera photos taken for a class project illustrates the artistic eye of my daughter.  A cross-stitched sampler came from my sister that was done specifically for the wall

Hard to believe just two pictures started it all.  There's room to grow although I like how it has that "work in progress" look.  Will post pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment